Monday, August 31, 2009

Photosynth: Your photos, automatically in 3D.




One of my hobbies since I was a kid has been photography. I think that it started with my grandfather taking Polaroids of us kids.

As Digital Dads we now have wonderful digital cameras, ranging for fully automatic point and shoot cameras that fit in a pocket, up to the full size DSLR. In this blog I will be writing about one of my favorite ways to take photos: Panoramas.

This article has a link to a Microsoft web based site which collects multiple photos and then stitches them together to form a large almost 3 dimensional image. I have posted three photos with this blog that I shot on Cape Cod a few weeks ago. Individually they are not that interesting, but when you merge a lot of them together you get a really cool effect.

Follow the link to the Photosynth web site and do a search for my photos using the keyword: sdfsmc. The example shots are from Cape Cod 2009. Expand the shot to fill screen and then use the arrows to rotate around the panorama.

This Photosynth was shot with a Nikon D70s, set for manual exposure to keep the lighting consistent. In this example I hand held the camera as I rotated around keeping the camera aimed at the horizon. When possible I prefer to us a tripod and control the overlap of each shot, but sometimes you just need to have fun and take the shot.

I have posted other Photsynths that I have shot in Israel, Bar Harbor, and Philadelphia.


Photosynth: Your photos, automatically in 3D.

Shared via AddThis

Reblog this post [with Zemanta]

No comments:

Post a Comment